Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Fever Pitch


I just bought and watched "Fever Pitch" with Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon. I got it partially because I was curious, and partially because my girlfriend also wanted to see it. I was slightly turned off by it before seeing it because it was directed by the Farrelly Brothers (Dumb and Dumber, Stuck on You). Well, I ended up really liking the movie. Then, when I learned it was based on a book by the same guy who's book "High Fidelity" was based on, I was a bit less surprised that I liked it, as "High Fidelity" is one of my favorite movies (Certainly my favorite comedy). I initially had chick-flick-phobia about it before seeing it. As it turns out, it's just as much of a guy-flick. It's one of the only romantic comedies (High Fidelity being another prime example) that tells the story from both sides. Even when Ben (Jimmy Fallon) is acting like a shmuck and blowing off Linsey (Barrymore), you're still made to understand and sympathize with his reasons. And what are his reasons? He is overly-obsessed with the Red Sox. I could go into details, but I'll just let the movie explain it to you. But don't worry, this is not a sports movie; it's a comedy with romance that takes place around sports. It's like I said, you're made to sympathize with his vice, even if you don't give a good god damn about baseball. Of course, what kind of romantic comedy would it be if in the end, he didn't make some sort of compromise.

No comments:

Post a Comment