Monday, March 13, 2017

Shane (1953)

Prompted by Logan, I finally made a point to see Shane. Great movie, one of my new favorite westerns. It's right up there with Unforgiven. However, there's one painfully bad part when the character Marion (Jean Arthur) is complaining to Shane who's showing her son how to shoot, "Guns aren't going to be my boy's life!" and then... in the most painful, condescending, mansplaining way that has ever been filmed in the history of Hollywood, he replies: "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Apparently this is a famous, well-liked line.

It's the last part that got me..."Remember that". It wasn't, 'here's my perspective on the matter' or 'allow me to offer a counter-argument' ... it was 'here's the facts dumbass, don't make me repeat myself'

Anyway. Minor gripe, I wouldn't expect most westerns to have any sort of anti-gun message. Then of course in Logan (very minor spoiler ahead), there's Laura's final words of that film, which she heard from Shane's final words "Joey, there's no living with... with a killing. There's no going back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand. A brand sticks. There's no going back. Now you run on home to your mother, and tell her... tell her everything's all right. And there aren't any more guns in the valley."

If you liked Logan, see Shane. I'm not saying the stories exactly parallel each other, but it does offer some context, and it's just a really good effin' movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment