Saturday, January 12, 2019

I remember being 10 or 11 and was playing ice hockey at a local rink. I was never on a team or in a league or anything, I think it was just group of other kids that happened to ask me to play because I was there and they needed another person. I was not a very good skater at all, but I somehow managed to score a goal against these other kids that were obviously good skaters and definitely knew how play hockey better than me (who was not very athletic). It was a very proud moment for me, but in the process of scoring the goal I had fallen on my back onto the ice. For anyone else this wouldn't have been a big deal. They'd have just gotten back up off their ass and high-fived their teammates. Not being a good skater I couldn't get back up on my own. I kept reaching out to the other kids to give me hand getting up, but they just kept high fiving me. Luckily to ease the embarrassment in my moment of victory my mother called out to me that it was time to go so I scooted over to the side boards, pulled myself up and shuffled off the ice. The lesson here is that just because someone succeeds doesn't mean they have their shit totally together.

No comments:

Post a Comment