Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Something that's been on my mind lately: Opinions and positions. It's ok to not have them on a subject. It really is. I consider myself a fairly smart person, but I don't, and can't know everything. When something comes up and I don't know much about it, I keep my damn fool mouth shut. Even when I have the urge to react and go with a gut feeling, I've learned to just shut up. Part of that is maturity perhaps. Not many people do this. But you better believe if I do open my mouth I know what the hell I'm talking about.

I was prompted to write this because a FB friend posted an article about something that I've kept my mouth shut about. It was something that frankly I'm proud, in retrospect of not taking a knee-jerk reaction to, because the more I'm reading about it the more I I'm thinking I may have taken an ass-hatted position on had I opened my mouth. I probably still won't open my mouth on the matter, because it doesn't directly or even indirectly impact my life or the life of anyone I know personally.

More and more I think "what the fuck does it matter to you?" when I hear people spewing ignorance and hatred. Why in the world do you need to "say something" on EVERY FUCKING TOPIC. Just shut up. Have some tea. Walk your dog. Jerk off; whatever it takes to occupy your time, just shut up.
I'm not discouraging open discourse. I am discouraging ignorant discourse though. Dunning-Kruger effect...look it up. Be mature enough to know when an opinion isn't necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment