Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Current Top 10

This is a repost from a comment on my friend's blog.

In no particular order, my current top 10

1. Blood Simple
I know Fargo is the favorite Coens' pick...but really my 1-5 would be filled with Coen films if I didn't stop myself.

2. Mullholland Drive
The guy behind the dumpster still scares the fuck out of me.

3. Zodiac
The guy in the basement still scares the fuck out of me.

4. House of Games
( my rebellious Mamet response to all the instances of Glengary Glen Ross on the lists )

5.Donnie Darko (Director's Cut)
I think this was more of a bad movie that accidentally worked very well.

6.Heat
Don't waste my motherfucking time

7.Dr. Strangelove
Not enough things can be said about this movie. I like the atmosphere of comedic paranoia.

8. Raging Bull
Because it's not "Dempsey"

9. Requiem For a Dream
Ass to ass

10.The Usual Suspects
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone. "

1 comment:

  1. That dude behind the dumpster always scares the bejeezus out of me as well! It's all in that sound Lynch throws in when he appears. Try watching it on mute and it's much less frightening.

    I've only seen parts of Requiem... but have heard sooo many good things about it. I'm also dying to see Aranofsky's latest, The Wrestler. It's supposed to be really dark, much like RFAD.

    You didn't ask, but here's my top 10 anyway:

    1. Chungking Express
    This movie has everything: Cops, criminals, sexy stewardesses, cute waitresses and the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen.

    2. Death Proof
    I've probably seen this movie five times now, and I'm still hooked. You either love or hate Tarantino's dialogue in this one (cuz there's a lot of it). I love it. It's all beautiful girls too, so I feel very voyeuristic listening to their conversations.

    3. Iron Man
    Oh my God. I saw this flick three times in the movie theater. I love the whole, "I'm a money grubbing war monger... wait, now watch me change into a philanthropic superhero." Ta dah!

    4. Goodfellas
    Perfect from begining to end. Deniro. Scorcese. 'Nuff said.

    5. Fight Club
    You're not your fu#%ing khakis.

    6. You Can Count On Me
    Is this a chick flick? I don't know. I like it. Two dudes duke it out. Mark Ruffalo drops the F-bomb a buncha times. A married, Matthew Broderick gets busy with Laura Linney. Nice!

    7. In The Mood For Love
    Yep. Another Wong Kar Wai flick (the other being Chungking Express). This whole movie is pure, sexual tension between two married people who's spouses are having an affair. The difference is, the two who discover their spouses have been cheating don't act on their attraction to each other. I think the most they do is hold hands. Looks like torture to me, but it makes a great movie.

    8. The Good The Bad & The Ugly
    Lee Van Cleef is a bad ass as Angel Eyes. This movie's super long, but is awesome because you route for all three leads. At least I do. Tuco's the man, yo!

    9. Nacho Libre
    Yes, Jack Black plays a Mexican luchador. Yes, it pretty much bombed at the box office. Watch it again. It's magic is revealed in the subtle, dry humor and innocence.

    10. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
    Three bad ass, curvy, sex bombs tear up the dessert busting heads and breaking hearts. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete